Some Astonishing Facts about Thailand!
Thailand sets a perfect example of a country that combines vibrant city life with blessings of Mother Nature. It is a tourist destination which comprises of everything from modern cities herded with tuk-tuks and motorbikes, glittering Buddhist temples, lavish landscapes, traditional villages, magnificent coastlines to ancient ruins and more. Thailand is full of curiosity which attracts tourists from all over the world to explore the best of the country.
Whether you are a food-obsessed traveler or a nature lover or an enthusiastic historian, Thailand won’t disappoint you at all. Several documentaries have been made in Thailand portraying its grandeur and magnificence. However, we at Ataman Luxury Villas have brought you some of the fun and interesting facts about Thailand that will astonish you for sure! Let’s dig in –
- Thailand’s name in Thai language is Prathet Thai which means “Land of the Free”. The name is such because Thailand is the only South-Asian country that has never been colonized by any European nation.
- The first known conjoined twins, Chang and Eng Bunker were born in a province near Bangkok in Thailand on 11th May 1811.
- Thailand is the home to one of the exorbitantly priced delicacies on Earth that are made from the strands of the saliva of the male cave-dwelling swiftlet bird. Its price is more than USD 900 per pound! Also, it is believed that this sea-salt briny flavored dish has an extensive list of health benefits.
- There is a festival dedicated to monkeys entirely! And this festival is celebrated every year in the month of November where an annual Lopburi Monkey Banquet is hosted in front of Pra Prang Sam Yot temple in the province of Lopburi. In this festival, more than 600 monkeys are invited over a buffet of over two tons of delectable food prepared by the locals. Lucky Monkeys!
- Another unusual festival celebrated in Thailand is the Phuket Vegetarian Festival during the month of October every year where people get involved in gory self-mutilation by piercing their faces and body parts with strange objects and walk barefoot across hot coals and do not eat non-vegetarian food for the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar. There is a belief that by doing so, they will be rewarded with outstanding health and peace of mind.
- The ceremonial name of Bangkok is one of the longest names in the world. The name is made up of Pali and Sanskrit root words, which goes like ‘Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit.’! The name means ‘City of angels, the great city of immortals, magnificent city of the nine gems, the seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by Visvakarman at Indra‘s behest.’
- Thailand is the home to the Cryptotora thamicola, a cavefish that uses its two front and two back fins to propel itself up waterfalls. It also crawls on land like any other four-footed animal! So do not forget to watch the walking fish when in Thailand!
- Thailand is also the birthplace of Red Bull, a popular energy drink in the world. The energy drink is based on Krating Daeng, which was a sweet, un-carbonated energy drink sold throughout Thailand and across Asia from 1976 by Chaleo Yoovidhy.
Interested in knowing more such interesting, fun-filled and unusual facts of Thailand? Then we at Ataman Luxury Villas will suggest you visit our wonderland at least once! Plan your next trip to Thailand! Are you worried about your stay? Do not worry at all! Our beachfront villas in Thailand will offer you a comfortable and quiet stay away from the hustles of regular city life.
Our beachfront villas in Thailand are surrounded by tropical greenery, and the complex has a private sandy beach where you can have a relaxing time with your loved ones! To know more call us at +66 93-690-5462 OR +66 83 174 4028 or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube to discover more about our villas!